what’s for dinner? Curry tofu noodlesPosted: February 17, 2011
Tonight I was inspired to make some curried fried rice noodles. Was thinking of a common Singapore noodle dish (星洲炒米粉) and wanted to use up the tofu I had. Of course, being Thursday and having a full Friday/weekend schedule, I didn’t have too much in the fridge, so I did what I could!
Just a side note, one of my favourite ways to eat tofu is frozen. Well, not like a popsicle, but frozen, thawed and cooked. Freezing tofu creates this great texture and it changes the way it can be flavoured. Quite scientific if you ask me! Tofu is like (I’m making this up) 80% water, and water expands when frozen. When you freeze tofu, the water inside it expands and this stretches the tofu and makes “holes” in it, giving it a really nice texture when thawed and cooked.
Did I mention it’s one of my favs? :P
Curry Tofu Noodles
Rice noodles (I like the wider kind)
Soft tofu, frozen and thawed
Finely sliced red pepper
Finely sliced carrot
Bite sized celery
Finely sliced ginger (alternatively, you could just slice bigger medallions)
Red pepper flakes
Chili sauce (I used sriracha)
Olive oil or coconut oil…whatevs!
- Cook rice noodles. Place in hot water, cook until chewy or el dante. Just need to remember you’re going to be cooking them further. Rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, prepare the vegetables, ginger and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat oil (I used a wok) and add in spices, ginger and garlic. In terms of how much I used, I used significantly more curry than any other spice. I suggest not too much clove, but other than that, go for it however you like!
- Once oil and spices have been incorporated into each other, dump in the veg and tofu. Stir.
- Add in some fish sauce and soy sauce. Toss around.
- Once finished, set aside.
- Add more oil to your cookware, add in the same spices (basically repeat step 3) and add in the noodles.
- Cook them up for a bit until the noodles are coated with the spices, then add in the vegetables again.
- Add some chili sauce to taste.
- Squirt in some lime. I used half a lime here and the other half when serving.
Yeah..so this was SUPER DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn’t stop eating it! YUMM! =9
One can always modify to their liking, adding different vegetables, spices, whatnot.