Thai Chicken CurryPosted: March 19, 2010
One day while browsing through the aisles at Loblaws, I found myself in some sort of “international” foods section. There I found a can of coconut milk, so I bought it in hopes that one day I would get up the courage to make curry from scratch.
I’ve made Indian curry, but I cheated with a jar of Bolst’s Curry Powder mix. That turned out AWESOME! It was really good! But this time, I felt I had to do it from scratch. I had most of the spices anyway, so why not?!
My sister came down to visit me this week and after work, we headed to the nearest grocery store and went to buy some ingredients! I have to admit, while browsing through the “Thai” section of the “international” aisle, I was EXTREMELY tempted to buy the jarred pre-made curry and the curry pastes. Good thing my sister was there – she kept me in check!
I was extraordinarily nervous about making Thai curry from scratch. I kept thinking I wouldn’t have enough of the right ingredients and when it came down to putting it all together something would go wrong. At the grocery store they didn’t have shrimp paste or chilis. Couldn’t rectify the shrimp paste situation, but I bought one jalapeno pepper. They’re both spicy right?
Well, after some chopping, some peeling and some blending, I had my curry all ready for cooking. I tasted it and was blown away!! I added the chicken to the pot, seared it, added the curry and just reduced it down to a thicker sauce. I then added some corn starch and made some rice – VOILA! Thai chicken curry!!
It was DELICIOUS!!!!
Curry in Blender
Cooking in the Pot
With the Veggies
The Recipe: Thai Chicken Curry
- Some chicken cut into pieces (I used 2 chicken breasts, you could definitely use more)
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- fresh basil and cilantro for garnish
- 1 can coconut milk
- Onions (I used 2 green onions)
- 1 thumb-size piece ginger
- 4 cloves garlic (or as much or little as desired)
- 1 Tbsp. tomato ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 2 heaping tsp. brown sugar
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- And really…any veggie you like!
- Place all curry sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process well.
- Sear chicken pieces in a pot. (I didn’t add oil)
- Pour the curry sauce over the chicken. Stir well, so that each of the chicken pieces is covered with sauce.
- Add lime and cinnamon, mixing these into the sauce.
- Simmer and reduce sauce.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add mixture of corn starch and water in a bowl. Mix well and add some to the curry until desired viscosity is achieved.